Chen Li is a professor in the Department of Computer Science at the University of California, Irvine. He received his Ph.D. degree in Computer Science from Stanford University in 2001, and his M.S. and B.S. in Computer Science from Tsinghua University, China, in 1996 and 1994, respectively. He received a National Science Foundation CAREER Award in 2003 and many other NSF grants and industry gifts. He was once a part-time Visiting Research Scientist at Google. He received several test-of-time publication awards including one at SIGMOD 2012. His research interests are in the fields of data management and information search, including text search, data cleansing, data integration, and data-intensive computing. He was a co-founder and CTO of SRCH2 to commercialize his research results.
- 2017, ICDE Best Demo Paper award for the paper titled “A Demonstration of TextDB: Declarative and Scalable Text Analytics on Large Data Sets.”
- 2013, 10-year Best Paper Award for the DASFAA 2003 paper titled “Efficient Record Linkage in Large Data Sets” by Liang Jin, Chen Li, and Sharad Mehrotra.
- 2012, ACM SIGMOD 2012 Test-of-Time Award for the SIGMOD 2002 paper titled “Executing SQL over encrypted data in the database-service-provider model” by Hakan Hacigumus, Bala Iyer, Chen Li, and Sharad Mehrotra.
- 2012, UCI ICS Dean’s Award for Graduate Student Mentoring.
- 2011, I advised a group of students to participate in the Microsoft Speller Challenge and won the third place.
- 2010, Intel grant on compression of human genome data.
- 2010, DASFAA, Excellent Demo Award for the paper titled “Fuzzy Keyword Search on Spatial Data”.
- NSF research award IIS 1030002 on powerful keyword search in a cloud-computing infrastructure, 2010.
- 2009 UCI ICS Dean’s Award for excellence in Mid-Career Research.
- 2009, NSF research award 0910989 titled “DC: Large: Collaborative Research: ASTERIX: A Highly Scalable Parallel Platform for Semistructured Data Management and Analysis.”
- NSF SGER grant No. IIS-0742960, 2007.
- ICS Ted & Janice Smith Faculty Seed Fund (December 2006).
- Google Research Award (September 2006).
- Microsoft unrestricted research grant (April 2006).
- UCI Faculty Career Development Award (2005).
- Recipient of National Science Foundation CAREER Award (No. IIS-0238586, 2003 – 2008, single PI).
- Senior investigator of National Science Foundation Award No. 0331707: RESCUE (2003 – 2008).
- Stanford Graduate Fellowship, Stanford University, 1997 – 2001.
- Entrance exams to Tsinghua University waived (undergrad 1989, MS 1994)
- Recent committee services: PVLDB 2011, SIGMOD 2010 (Group Leader), VLDB 2010, ICDE 2010 (also Local Arrangements Chair), PVLDB 2009, PVLDB 2008, ICDE 2009 Demo Track, CIKM 2008, VLDB 2008, WWW 2008, ICDE 2008, KDD 2007, SIGMOD07, ICDT07, KDD06, CIKM06, CleanDB06 (Workshop cochair), SIGMOD06 Undergraduate Scholarship Program (chair), IQIS06, ICDE06 Committee for tutorial proposals, VLDB05 (IIS), SIGMOD05 Demo track, PODS05 Proceedings Chair, DASFAA05.
- 2018 – now: PC member for VLDB 2018 and VLDB 2019.
- July 2016 – now: ICDE 2017 Area Chair
- July 2016 – now: SIGMOD 2017 committee member
- Oct. 2015 – now: PVLDB advisory committee member.
- Oct. 2015 – now: Guest editor of VLDBJ Special Issue for VLDB 2015.
- VLDB 2015 (Hawaii): PC co-chair.
- 2013: Vice chair of Department of Computer Science, UC Irvine.